Welcome the Landscape and Nature Photography blog

Landscape and nature photography is popular in scenic areas, because there's so much subject matter everywhere one turns. This blog will help you advance from taking a mere snapshot of beautiful scenery to creating a great photograph that pulls you into that scene as though you were back there again.

From winter landscape photography to macro photography, color to black and white, view my beautiful nature photography and read the digital landscape photography tips I offer to help you improve your photos.

If the topic you're interested in doesn't appear near the top of the blog, use the handy search feature on the right to check previous posts for that subject. Themes like the rule-of-thirds, using lines and curves, finding foreground elements, photographic filters, light angles, tripods, and others are discussed, with examples provided to illustrate the concepts.


Colorado Winter Landscape With Mountains in Black & White


I'm so pleased with how my winter landscapes look in black and white.  While the color photos are nice, the black and white rendering seems to add more drama or impact.

The above view is one of my favorites.  I normally hike out to this point in early summer, when other trails are still muddy or snow-covered.  This is my second time snowshoeing to this overlook so far this winter.  Each time the skies are different, so the photos look different.

I'll meter for the bright clouds or mountain peaks, then compose the photo such that the tops of the mountains are about one-third below the top of the frame.  My neighborhood can be seen in this photo, and seems to be a focal point, so I place that below and to the right of the photo's center.